Pickleball courts are being built at an incredibly fast rate, yet tennis courts are widely used for pickleball. The tennis court must, however, be modified so it can be used for pickleball.
Can you play pickleball on a tennis court?
You can adjust the court dimensions and net height, but only if they are adjusted. A tennis court measures 27 feet by 78 feet, while a pickleball court measures 20 feet by 44 feet.
Tennis net posts measure 42 inches in length and 36 inches in diameter. Ideally, pickleball nets have 36-inch posts and 34-inch centers.
The steps for setting up a pickleball court are as follows:
How do you change a tennis court into a pickleball court?
First option: lower the tennis net to the correct height and apply a tape or chalk line on top of the tennis court to indicate where the pickleball court lines need to be marked out.
Nets with adjustable heights will work with this option if the owner does not mind lowering them. The net can be temporarily lowered in some tennis facilities, but not in others. In addition, you won’t be able to make an around-the-post shot.
In order to create a pickleball court, you need to use a different color tape than the lines that were used for the tennis court.
Second option: Tape the pickleball lines to a portable pickleball net.
Tennis players commonly use the tennis net as a “backstop” while playing on one side of the court. Tape down the lines of the temporary net for at least 30 feet on each side. This method is most commonly used to allow insufficient room around the court.
What should the space around the pickleball court be like?
Outside each boundary line, the USAPA suggests 10 feet of space (referred to as overrun). The players will be prevented from running on to each other’s courts, and play will be stopped less frequently if a ball rolls onto your court.
You can also read Pickleball Net Height vs. Tennis Net Height
How to draw your own pickleball lines on a tennis court
Tennis courts are approximately four times the size of pickleball courts. Subdividing a tennis court to draw pickleball lines is equivalent to dividing a basketball court into pickleball zones. An overview of pickleball court dimensions can be found in our introduction. Take a look at that as well!
What you’ll need for drawing pickleball lines on a tennis court:
- Measurement tape for accurate measurements
- Make lines with chalk or other temporary markers
- Using temporary tape (like painter’s tape)
How to mark pickleball lines on a tennis court
- Place your net in the middle of one side of the tennis court.
- You should start your measuring tape inside the net one foot from the first sideline. Once the net is marked, mark a 22-foot line.
- Using the 22-foot mark on the sideline, determine the baseline by measuring and marking 20 feet horizontally. You will need to mark the halfway point at 10 feet later on.
- A second sideline should be measured: From the opposite side post, measure a foot inside the net. Draw a straight line from the baseline to the end.
- You can also mark the non-volley zone (The “Kitchen”): Mark seven feet from the net on each side. Put those two points on the court together. Make sure you mark the halfway point (10 feet) as well.
- Using the kitchen line as a reference, connect the two 10′ halfway points (one should be halfway along the baseline, and one should be halfway across the kitchen line).
- The lines should be taped along. Using the tape, stretch it out from the base point to the endpoint. Apply it straight and evenly by gently pressing it down.
OnCourt OffCourt has provided the following tutorial for setting your lines:
How many pickleball courts will fit on a tennis court?
Tennis courts can accommodate four pickleball courts, depending on their size and surrounding space.
How to set up a pickleball net on a tennis court
Nets are often bought and transported by pickleball players. The cost of a pickleball net usually ranges from $100 to $200. Portable pickleball nets are easy to set up. You only have to spend a few minutes on it.
Pickleball nets are typically set up as follows:
- Organize the base pieces. Ensure that both base feet are in place. In most cases, a middle-point base piece will also be included. In order to form the base, all of these will be connected by poles.
- Posts should be placed on the net.
- Into the base, place the net posts.
- In the center of the net, place the center rod.
In most cases, rod ends are covered with butt caps or velcro straps that keep everything in place.
You can also read Pickleball Memes
What is the cost of converting a tennis court into a pickleball court?
Pickleball courts can be converted into tennis courts in a variety of ways. The cost of a solution varies depending on the permanence of the solution and the materials used.
The topic of applying temporary lines has already been discussed. Players can easily access temporary lines because of their low cost. There are several items that can be purchased for less than $25, including chalk, temporary tape, and measuring tape.
A professional pickleball court can be marked with permanent pickleball lines for between $200 and $600. In addition, you can DIY the process for the cost of the paint, but we don’t recommend it. Permanent lines are difficult to undo if you make a mistake when applying them yourself. For private communities with tennis courts, adding permanent pickleball lines is a very popular option.
The following disclaimer is important: Marking courts without permission is illegal! It’s not a good idea to end up like Denver’s “mayor of pickleball”, who was jailed over this… (he has since been released phew).
Tennis courts can be converted to pickleball courts for tens of thousands of dollars. Depending on the original materials and condition of the court, it can vary widely. The cost of resurfacing will be much higher than if everything needs to be repainted.
Tennis courts that don’t see much use are increasingly being converted to pickleball courts in many communities. These communities are revitalizing their courts through an active interest in the sport.
Also, read Pickleball Net Height
Can you play pickleball on a tennis court?
You can do that! A tennis court can be transformed into a pickleball court by adding lines.
How many pickleball courts fit on one tennis court?
One tennis court can fit four pickleball courts.
Does pickleball damage tennis courts?
You don’t need to worry about pickleball damaging tennis courts.
How often do you get the chance to experience history at its inception?
Pickleball’s rapid growth makes the community’s energy unlike anything else right now. In addition to getting in shape, socializing, getting outside more, and having fun, pickleball is great for people who don’t usually play sports.
We encourage you to try pickleball on a tennis court now that you know how to play it.
What impact has pickleball had on your life as a veteran player? Is there anything stopping you from trying it?
You can also read Anna Leigh Waters Net worth